Monday, October 17, 2005

Book duds

I wanted to start this blog with a post about the latest thought-provoking book I've been reading. But the problem is, I'm kind of in a rut. Self-induced, that is. I have no shortage of fascinating books on my list. I've made it through at least three a month this year. The rest of my life shows it.So I've picked up "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance," a famous book about a guy, his son, his motorcycle, and life. I've always wanted to read it. I've put it down and may not get it all read before it's due back at the library. Of course, maybe I just couldn't get into it because I was on a plane with my two boys and was trying to read while playing Buzz Lightyear and nursing the baby. I want to give it another chance, because I'm sure I'll get hooked eventually. But I'm kind of enjoying this brief hiatus from reading and I'm almost afraid to get back into book inhalation mode. My house is almost approaching a state of semi-clean!

The other dud, which isn't really a dud, is "Uncle Tom's Cabin." I've been working on this all year! I really like the book, it's just not a page-turner. Not like an Orson Scott Card novel. So I keep setting it aside for the more exciting books. I guess I'll give myself until the end of the year, and if I'm not done, I won't let myself read anything else until it's done.

Has anyone else read a book that took forever to get through? Or that you didn't even finish because it was just not compelling at all? Are you just smart enough not to start one like that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home